Three little Monkeys

Three little Monkeys

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Mama

When you think back to growing up, most of your childhood memories include your Mama and Daddy. For some, it is their biological parents, some... their adoptive parents, and some... A man and woman who really made a difference in their lives.  All I know is, I sure do love my Mama.... I mean really, who could take the place of your Mama?

For me, My Mama has had an impact on most of every single thing in my life.... I can tell you, growing up, I thought life was perfect. Home was safe, home was fun, Mama and Daddy were always with us. They never really left us with babysitters. Usually My Mah (grandmother) would come and watch us if my parents had plans, but other than that, we were always with my parents. Very rarely do I remember my parents getting frustrated with us. I am pretty sure that they did, because I mean..... well.... I guess I was pretty close to being a perfect child :).... but none the less, I am sure we got on their nerves every once and a while. BUT they always included us happily in everything they did. They absolutely LOVED us! Or at least that is the way I felt.

Growing up, my Mama and Daddy always gave us fun, but simple, birthday parties... you know a slumber party with about 45 hungry girls! The next day, we always went to the State Fair, and Daddy always rode the big rides with me... We would go the lake every summer and camp and water ski.... Every Christmas, my Daddy always made sure we were home to enjoy our gifts, and we alllllwwwwaaayyysss did... Mama usually stayed out all Christmas Eve finishing, (or maybe even starting) her Christmas shopping.... We always put out the bags with candles in them around the neighborhood.... and SEVERAL times during the Christmas holiday, we would ride around and see the Christmas lights.....

One specific thing I always remember my Mama did was tell me how beautiful I was.... and I swear, I think she believed it.... She would go on and on and on about how pretty my dress looked on me and my hair and my make up and my shoes...... I look back now at MANY of those pictures that included all of these compliments and I laugh.... BY NO MEANS is that pretty.... BUT she believed I was, so I believed I was. I also laugh because I always ask her why somebody didn't tell me to loose some weight or brush my hair or pluck my eyebrows.... to this day, she still says, "because you were beautiful." I always remember this when I am talking to my children. I always tell them how beautiful I think they are... apparently it works because Syd says, "you already told me that mommy."

When I was in college, I wanted to come home every weekend to see my parents. There was nothing I loved more than sleeping with my Mama and getting my head and back scratched and rubbed... Eating food from home, and just feeling safe...

When I bought my first house, My Mama was the first one to give me her approval. By no means would I have bought something she thought wasn't right for me.... When Chad and I got engaged, of course My Mama was the first I called and the one to help plan my wedding... And YES, every dress I put on she would say, "Kendall, you look so beautiful." Then I was pregnant with Cole.. Then Syd.... Then Preston and each time she would say, "Kendall, you look so beautiful."

She stayed up all night with Cole after I had him because I was afraid for him to go to the nursery.... They could have taken him to another hospital for 8 hours and I wouldn't have ever know because I was passed out from all the medication during surgery... But she didn't let them take him.. Instead, she held him all night... When I had my gallbladder removed and had major complications, she stormed the hospital floors waiting for answers... After I had Sydney and Preston, she came and stayed as long as I needed her.....

My children love her so much and so do I. She comes here so I can take simple phone calls, or so I can go to the doctor, or any excuse I really have..... they will all get her in the car to drive 2 hours....

If it was up to me, we would move back to Greenville and I could see my Mama and Daddy every day... I hope Cole, Syd and Preston have these memories about me...Ezekiel 16:44 "As is the mother, so is her daughter."

No comments:

Post a Comment